I’m a sucker for fresh bread – and steamed bread is no exception! This is a simple recipe for basic steamed white buns, which can be filled with savoury or sweet fillings or used as buns, as I do for our version of siopao.
Steamed Buns (for Bao or siopao)
- Mix the warm water and yeast. Let it sit and bubble for 5 minutes.
- Put the sugar, flour, baking powder and shortening in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the yeast mixture. Knead using the dough hook for 7-8 minutes.
- Cover with a damp towel or cling film and let it rise for 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and line some bamboo steamers with parchment paper or banana leaves.
- Punch the dough down. Roll into a long cylinder and cut into 16-20 portions. Form as needed (stuff or leave as is). Place them in the steamers, leaving at least 1 inch between the pieces as they will rise while cooking.
- Steam for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat but leave covered until read to serve.